Will A Breast Augmentation Leave A Scar?
Where Will Incisions Be Made?
The location of the incision is an important one as it determines the location of your scars. Whether you’re combining your augmentation with a lift or another procedure will also be considered. There are four types of incisions, each with their own pros and cons.
- Inframammary incisions are the most common because this technique creates an incision that follows the natural curve underneath your breasts. The scar is easily hidden beneath the fold, and this approach has the lowest risk of complications.
- Periareolar incisions are one of the more common incisions. It creates a semi-circular incision tracing the lower half of your areolas, allowing the surgeon to camouflage scar. This technique has been reported to have a higher rate of capsular contracture.
- Transaxillary incisions are placed in your underarm area, resulting in no scarring on your breasts. Not all implants can be placed in this fashion and revisions are more common.
- Periumbilical incisions (also known as trans-umbilical breast augmentation or TUBA) occur at the umbilicus (navel) and produces no visible surgical scars on the breast. This technique cannot be used with all implant types, is less precise, and is more technically difficult when placing implants.
Most of Dr. Correa’s breast augmentation procedures are done using inframammary incisions, which require more skill in planning but result in the least visible scars.
How Long Will It Take My Scar to Fade?
Visible scarring will fade over several months following surgery but can take up to 18-months to completely heal. In some cases, they may appear to get worse before they look better. The rate at which your scars will heal will depend on your age, genetics, and skin tone. To help accelerate healing and minimize the appearance of your scars:
- Stay out of the sun.
- Eat nutritious foods and drink plenty of water.
- Follow aftercare instructions and guidelines.
Talk to Dr. Correa about scar treatment options that can reduce their appearance even further.
An Artistic Consideration
Dr. Correa is a board-certified plastic surgeon who provides a thorough consultation to ensure you are well-informed and confident in your decision. After completing an analysis to determine if and what plastic surgery is appropriate for you, he will recommend a procedure based on his technical expertise and professional artistic opinion.
Take the Next Step
Interested in learning more about Breast Augmentation procedures? Schedule your free consultation with Board-Certified Plastic Surgeon Dr. Correa by filling out the form on this page or by calling The Woodlands Plastic Surgery at (281) 419-9119. Proudly serving patients in The Woodlands, Conroe, Huntsville, College Station, Bryan, Montgomery & Kingwood, TX.
*Individual results may vary.
VIEW MORE POSTS
ON THE BLOGUser Submitted Question: Do I have to get liposuction if I want a Tummy Tuck procedure? Every person is different and Tummy Tuck procedures are no different. What you may want may be different than what you may need to achieve your body goals. Dr. Correa...
ON THE BLOG"I'm not a mom and haven't gone through childbirth. Am I still qualified for a Mommy Makeover?" A Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures that aim at restoring or reshaping the body to a previous or more desired status. Dr. Correa answers this user's...
ON THE BLOGMaybe you've noticed a few extra breakouts around your mouth, cheeks, and chin? You're cleaning your face regularly and keeping a clean diet but the pimples keep coming back. Here at The Woodlands Plastic Surgery and MedSpa, we aren't spared from the effect...